In Episode 24 of Driven by Data: The Podcast, Kyle Winterbottom is joined by Helen Brown, MD of ITK where they discuss how to make the most of your data assets by optimising data utility.
After spending many years working for the NHS where she took a national role to advance data, governance and intelligence capabilities, Helen decided to start a training business focused on helping organisations improve data utility.
- Why organisations tend to fall into one of three categories
- How to find the middle ground
- Why many organisations are diluting the effectiveness of their data without even knowing
- The importance of understanding what you need to use your data for
- Why you need to do a Data Protection Impact Assessment
- The importance of choosing the correct controls for specific situations
- Why there needs to be more collaboration between governance and analytics teams
- Why it's easy to create unintended bias
- The relationship between data privacy and data accuracy
- Why skill-sets need to merge to better understand utility constraints
- The importance of minimisation
- How you can use training as a control measure
- How the application of privacy controls can affect the utility of your data
- The importance of minimising data the right way, at the right stage of the lifecycle